The Parish Community and Pastoral Staff of St. Michael the Archangel wish to extend our congratulations to you in your decision to enter into marriage. We wish to prepare you, not only for the celebration of the Sacrament of Matrimony, but for the life-long journey you are about to embark upon.
The following are guidelines for Marriage Preparation as put forth by the Bishops of Michigan, as well as particular parish policies regarding the ceremony itself:
- One of the parties requesting a wedding must be a baptized, practicing Catholic who is registered in the parish and is free to marry. This means that any previous marriages by either the Catholic or non-Catholic must already be annulled or the proper paperwork finalized.
- There is a six-month Catholic requirement for marriage preparation. This preparation includes a pre-marriage inventory ($35) and subsequent meetings with either the priest or another member of the pastoral staff.
- Catholics are required to submit a newly issued baptismal record and non-Catholics are required to submit a photocopy of their original baptismal record.
- Couples must contact the county to apply for a marriage license no more than three weeks prior to the ceremony and present the license to the parish within a week of the wedding. Learn More/Apply for License.
- Available times to hold your Wedding Mass or liturgy are: Friday evening at 5:00 p.m. or Saturday afternoon at 2:00 p.m. Please contact the parish office to find out if a date is available.
- Wedding rehearsal will take place within a few days of the wedding and the couple is to contact the parish secretary to schedule the rehearsal.
- The Art and Environment committee at St. Michael the Archangel maintains decor appropriate to the liturgical season. For this reason fresh flowers are not to be placed on or near the altar. Aisle runners are permitted but not necessary. Pew bows are also permitted but may only be attached to the pew with a band. No tape or clip devices are allowed.
- Rice, birdseed, confetti, etc. is not permitted.
- Church law requires that individuals enter into marriage with full consent and free will. Alcohol has the potential to diminish or incapacitate one's free will and full consent. For this reason, alcohol (or any illegal drug) is not permitted on church property.
- In order to assist couples with the preparation of music for their wedding liturgy, they must contact the parish Music Director, Mrs. Cindy Stempin, at least three months in advance of the wedding date. She can be reached at 734 261-1455 ext. 224. Permission may be given by Mrs. Stempin for outside musicians or soloists.
- Offerings: Being a member of a parish community requires that we share in the stewardship of the parish. Registered, participating and contributing members of St. Michael the Archangel Parish are asked to make a donation of $150 to the parish to help to defray operating costs. Those not registered are asked to give a donation of $350.
- Clergy offering: There is no fee for the service of a priest or deacon; however, it is customary to offer an honorarium. This is a gift that you give to the priest or deacon for his services. There is no set amount-this is something that you must decide for yourself.
- The Music Director's contract does not include weddings. This is a separate contract between the director and you. The Music Director will advise of the fee for playing at your wedding. There is an additional fee for rehearsal time should you employ a soloist at your wedding.